Assam HS Class 12 Examination Questions of Last 10 Years on Narration (Direct and Indirect Speech) Solved. Additional Important Questions are also given for practice.
Q. Change the form of narration in the following sentences:
HS Exam 2013
1. "Why aren't you wearing chappals?" I ask one boy. "My mother did not bring them down from the shelf", he answers simply.
Ans: I ask one boy why he isn't wearing chappals. He answers simply that his mother didn't bring them down from the shelf.
2. One day Mukesh told me that he would be a motor mechanic and leave Firozabad. I asked him if he knew anything about cars.
Ans: One day Mukesh said to me, "I shall be a motor mechanic and leave Firozabad." I said to him, "Do you know anything about cars?"
HS Exam 2014
1. The lady said to the salesman, "What is the price of this Barbie doll?" The salesman said to her, "It is a bit expensive. But I can give it to you at a 20 percent discount."
Ans: The lady asked the salesman what the price of that Barbie doll was. The salesman replied to her that it was a bit expensive but he could give it to her at a 20 percent discount.
2. One day Mohan told me that he would become a doctor and leave Assam. I asked him if he knew anything about medicine.
Ans: One day Mohan said to me, "I shall become a doctor and leave Assam." I said to him, "Do you know anything about medicine?"
HS Exam 2015
1. "Where do you go every Sunday?" I asked the girl. She replied, "I go to the church".
Ans: I asked the girl where she went every Sunday. She replied that she went to the church."
2. The teacher asked Rumi if she had read the Bible. She replied that she hadn't.
Ans: The teacher said to Rumi, "Have you read the Bible?" She said, "No, I haven't."
HS Exam 2016
1. "How long do you have to wait for your train?" the woman asked me. "About an hour," I replied.
Ans: The woman asked me how long I had to wait for my train. I replied that I had to wait about an hour.
2. I asked Ranjan where Neena lived. Ranjan replied regretfully that he didn't know.
Ans: I said to Ranjan, "Where does Neena live?" Ranjan said, "Sorry, I don't know."
HS Exam 2017
1. The boy said to the teacher, "Sir, I am weak in English and seek your advice." "Read the text thoroughly and try to express your ideas in simple correct English." said the teacher.
Ans: The boy told the teacher that he was weak in English and sought his advice. The teacher advised him to read the text thoroughly and try to express his ideas in simple correct English.
2. My friend told me that he was very thirsty and requested me to give him a glass of water.
Ans: My friend said to me, "I am very thirsty. Please give me a glass of water."
HS Exam 2018
1. The speaker said, "I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for giving me a kind hearing. When I arrived here yesterday I did not believe that I might meet so large a gathering."
Ans: The speaker thanked the ladies and gentlemen for giving him a kind hearing. He also added that when he arrived there the previous day he did not believe that he might meet so large a gathering.
Addressing them/the audience as ladies and gentlemen, the speaker thanked them for giving him a kind hearing. He also said that when he arrived there the previous day, he did not believe that he might meet so large a gathering
2. His mother exclaimed in sorrow that she had not a bit of bread to give him and that he had eaten up all the provisions she had in the house the previous day.
Ans: His mother said, "Alas! I have not a bit of bread to give you. You ate up all the provisions I had in the house yesterday."
HS Exam 2019
1. Reena said to the boy, "What's the matter? Why are you crying? Be cheerful."
Ans: Reena asked the boy what the matter was and why he was crying. She also advised him to be cheerful.
2. The customer inquired if he could get a garden roller in that shop. The assistant respectfully replied that he would get it in the hardware department.
Ans: The customer said, "Can I get a garden roller in this shop?" The assistant said, "Sir, you will get it in the hardware department."
HS Exam 2020
1. Alexander said to Porus, "How do you desire to be treated?" He answered, "Like a king."
Ans" Alexander asked Porus how he desired to be treated. He answered that he desired to be treated like a king.
2. The boys exclaimed in joy that they had all passed the test and that they would celebrate their success the next day.
Ans: The boys said, "Hurrah! We have all passed the test and we shall celebrate our success tomorrow."
Additional Important Questions:
1. The traveller said, "Can you tell the way to the nearest inn?" "Yes", said the peasant.
Ans: The traveller asked the peasant if he could tell him the way to the nearest inn. The peasant replied that he could.
2. Ramen told his brother not to run in the sun. The brother replied that he would be coming soon.
Ans: Ramen said to his brother, "Do not run in the sun." The brother said, "I shall be coming soon."
3. The teacher said to the student, "Why are you silent? Speak out. Can't you hear?"
Ans: The teacher asked the student why he was silent. He told him to speak out. He again asked him if he couldn't hear.
4. "I want to work for you," I said to Anil.
"Can you cook?" Anil asked me.
Ans: I told Anil that I wanted to work for him. Anil asked me if I could cook.
5. "Boys," said the teacher to the students, "I shall never forget the love that you have given me". "Sir, you deserve it for the sacrifices you have made for our society", said the students.
Ans: Addressing the students as boys, the teacher told them that he would never forget the love they had given him. The students replied respectfully that he deserved it for the sacrifices he made for their society.