Notice Writing is the most widely used means of communicating information by the heads of educational institutions and government offices. It is a type of short composition. So information can be easily communicated by notices. Such notices are frequently put up in School Notice Boards/ School Bulletin Boards. Students of various state boards, particularly the CBSE students of Class 8 to 10 are asked to write a notice on a given topic in not more than 50 words in examinations. Examples of given topics include various competitions, celebrations, tournaments, matches held in schools, excursions, lost and found and other important announcements etc. An effort has been made here to include all the various patterns of writing notices in this article.
How to Write a Notice/ Instructions for Writing a Notice:
1. Write the name of the institution/ organization or office at the top middle of the page.
2. Write the word 'Notice' just below the name of the institution.
3. Write the headline, that is, the subject of the notice in two or three words just below the word 'notice'.
4. Write the date of issue of the notice at the top right, top left, bottom right or bottom left corner of the page.
5. Write the name of the institution, the word 'notice' and the subject in capital letters or write at least the first letters of those words in capital scripts.
6. Next write the body of the notice. Include details like purpose of notice, date, time, venu, programme etc.
7. Write the signature and designation of the notice issuing authority at the bottom left or bottom right corner of the page.
8. Note the use of particular words and phrases used in notice writing. A notice usually begins with 'This is for general information', 'This is to inform' etc. However it can also begin directly as 'This (name) school is going to organize'. Also note other words and phrases throughout the body part of the notice.
Notice Writing Format:
In the CBSE Class 8 to 10 exams, students are asked to write a notice in not more than 50 words. If the student exceeds the word limit by one or two words, 1/2 mark is deducted. If he exceeds it by three or more words, 1 mark is deducted. (The rule of word limit has not been followed here as this article only serves as a guide to notice writing).
The Format includes
1. Name of the institution, the word Notice, Subject and Date - 1 mark
2. Notice inside the box - 1/2 mark (a box is provided at the answer script for writing the notice)
3. Signature, name and designation of the notice issuing authority - 1/2 mark.
4. Body part - 3 Marks.
14 Samples and Examples of Notice Writing:
1. You are Rohan, the Cultural Secretary of Netaji High School, Guwahati. Write a notice for your school notice board informing the students about a debate competition to be held in your school in not more than 50 words. Include all necessary information.
NETAJI HIGH SCHOOL, GUWAHATI
Inter Class Debate Competition
5 May, 2020
This is for general information to all the students of Netaji High School, Guwahati that an inter class debate competition for the students of classes IX and X will be held at the School's Cultural Hall from 10 AM onwards on 15th May/2020. The topic of the debate will be 'Television in Modern Life: A Curse or Blessing". Those interested to participate in the debate competition should submit their names to the undersigned on or before 13th May/2020.
2. You are David, the editor of the school magazine. Draft a notice for your school notice board in not more than 50 words informing the students to submit articles for the school magazine. Give your notice an appealing heading.
DELHI PUBLIC SCHOOL, BONGAIGAON
Opportunity to Become a Writer!
4 April, 2020
This is for general information to the students of our school that the school magazine "The Guide" for the academic session 2020-2021 will be published in July 2020. Interested students can submit their writing in the form of stories, poems, articles, sketches etc to their respective class teachers by June 30/2020. All write ups should be typed or written in legible handwriting in A4 size papers covering only one side of the page. For more details, contact the undersigned.
3. You are Mr. S. M. Gupta, the principal of Kendriya Vidyalaya, Goalpara. Write a notice for your school bulletin board in not more than 50 words informing the students and teachers about the Independence Day Celebration of your school.
KENDRIYA VIDYALAYA, GOALPARA
Independence Day Celebration
13 August, 2020
This is to inform the students and teachers of Kendriya Vidyalaya, Goalpara that our school is going to celebrate Independence Day with a day long cultural programme from 10 AM onwards on 15th August/2020. All students and teachers must attend the same without fail.
S. M. Gupta
4. You are Anjali, the Head librarian of your school library. Draft a notice in not more than 50 words, informing the members of the library committee about a meeting.
MAHATMA GANDHI SCHOOL LIBRARY
15 September, 2019
This is to notify all the members of the library committee of Mahatma Gandhi School Library that there will be an emergent meeting at the Library Reading Hall at 5 PM on 20th September/2019 to discuss the collection of new books for the next academic session and assignment of responsibilities thereof to the members. All the members must attend the same without fail.
Mahatma Gandhi School Library
5. You are Nandita, the General Secretary of the Students Body, J. M. B. Girls' School, Barpeta. Write a notice for your school notice board informing the students about an excursion/ pleasure trip/ educational tour to Kaziranga National Park. Give all necessary details.
J. M. B. GIRLS' SCHOOL, BARPETA
Excursion Trip/ Educational Tour to Kaziranga National Park
5 January, 2020
All the students of J. M. B. Girls' School are hereby informed that our school is going to Kaziranga National Park for an educational excursion on January 27/2020. The bus will start at 6 AM from the school playground. Interested students should deposit their names with the principal with a fee of Rs. 1000/- on or before January 25/2020.
6. You are Dr. K. Sharma, the principal of Vivekananda HS School, Nalbari. Prepare a notice for your school bulletin board in not more than 50 words telling the interested students about a blood donation camp.
VIVEKANANDA HS SCHOOL, NALBARI
Blood Donation Camp
8 October, 2020
It is hereby informed that the Sunrise Youth Club, an NGO of our locality is going to organize a blood donation camp to collect blood for the poor and needy as per the date, time and venue mentioned below:
Time: 8 AM to 5 PM
Venue: Sunrise Youth Club Premises.
Students interested to donate blood are hereby directed to attend the venue as per the time and date mentioned. Students must carry with them a 'No Objection Certificate' from their parents.
Dr. K. Sharma
7. You are Anita, the Head girl of your school. Draft a notice in not more than 50 words informing the students of your school about a fancy dress competition.
BAPUJI SENIOR SCHOOL, KOLKATA
Fancy Dress Competition
10 January, 2020
It is hereby made known that Bapuji Senior School is going to hold a fancy dress competition for the students of classes XI & XII from 2 PM on 13th January, the last day of the three day long annual sports programme. Interested students should contact the undersigned on or before 13th January/2020.
8. You are Asha, the Head girl of Sainik School, Bongaigaon. Sushmita, a student of class 8 lost her watch while playing in the school playground. Write a notice in not more than 50 words for her asking the finder of the watch to return it.
SAINIK SCHOOL, BONGAIGAON
5 August, 2020
Sushmita, a student of Class 8 has lost her watch while playing in the school playground. The finder of the watch is requested to return it to her or to the school office. A nice cash treat is promised by her.
9. You are John, the Class Captain of Class 10. Ruma, a student of Class X has lost her purse. Write a notice to be put up in the Students' Notice Board for the same.
EDULAND PUBLIC SCHOOL, BARPETA
STUDENTS' NOTICE BOARD
Lost and Found
Ruma, a student of Class X has lost her purse along with some money and important documents. Anyone who finds it is requested to return it to her or the class teacher of Class X at the earliest.
10. You are David, the Sports Secretary of St. Paul Senior Secondary School. Your school is going to host a football match/ tournament. The principal of your school has asked you to draft a notice for the same. Write the notice including all necessary details.
ST. PAUL SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL
9 December, 2019
St. Paul Senior Secondary School is going to organize an inter school football match to be held from 10 AM onwards on 15th December/2020 at the school playground. Interested students of classes IX and X are hereby directed to contact the principal latest by 11th December/2020.
11. You are Minakshee, the cultural secretary of Alipur Junior College. Your college is going to organize a music/ singing/ dancing competition. Draft a notice for your school bulletin board asking the interested students to participate in it.
ALIPUR JUNIOR COLLEGE
15 February, 2020
Alipur Junior College is going to organize a music/singing/dancing competition for the students of the college on 20th February, the foundation day of the college. The programme will be held from 5 PM onwards at College Auditorium Hall. Interested students expert in music and dancing are directed to submit their names to the undersigned before 20th February, 2020.
12. You are Minakshee, the cultural secretary of St. Albert School, Dhubri. Your school is going to organize a painting competition on the occasion of Children's Day. Write a notice for the same including all necessary details.
ST. ALBERT SCHOOL, DHUBRI
10 November, 2020
This is for general information that our school is going to organize a painting competition for the students of classes VI to X on the occasion of Children's Day, 14th November from 9 AM to 12 Noon in the respective classrooms. Students are directed to attend the same with their own A4 size sheets and sketch pens. Attractive prizes will be given to the students.
13. You are Mr. R. K. Sarma, the headmaster of Junior Basic School, Itanagar. Write a notice for your school notice board informing the students and the staff about the cultural programme.
JUNIOR BASIC SCHOOL, ITANAGAR
13th August, 2020
This is for general information to all the students and the staff of Junior Basic School, Itanagar that our school is going to organize a cultural programme on the evening of 15th August, the Independence Day of India. The programme will be held from 5 PM to 10 PM in the school campus. All the concerned must attend the same without fail.
Mr. R. K. Sarma
14. You are Kirti, the Discipline Secretary of Little Flower High School. Your school has received an order from the Deputy Commissioner asking the school to impose an immediate ban on use of all plastic and polythene items. Write a notice for your school notice board informing the students about the same.
LITTLE FLOWER SCHOOL
Ban of Plastic|Polybags in School
5 April, 2020
This is for general information of all concerned that the use of all plastic items including plastic bags and water bottles are banned in the school campus with immediate effect from tomorrow. All students are hereby directed to avoid the use of plastic bags and plastic water bottles. Violation of the rule shall lead to disciplinary action from the school authority.